The Story Behind The Toucan Sam
Garnishes can be superfluous or they can make a drink memorable. This cocktail from Mr. Purple, the 15th-floor cocktail lounge in NYC’s Hotel Indigo, makes a strong case for the latter. The Toucan Sam features crisp Nolet’s gin, Campari, and pineapple and lime juices, and comes to the table sprinkled with Fruit Loops cereal.
We find this drink sweet enough without the addition of simple syrup, but, if your first attempt leaves an overly tangy taste in your mouth, by all means, go ahead.
Ingredients In The Toucan Sam:
- 2 ounces gin, such as Nolet’s
- ¾ ounce Campari
- ½ ounce simple syrup (optional)
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- ¾ ounce lime juice
- Fruit Loops, for garnish
Toucan Sam Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice, and shake to combine.
- Pour into a chilled highball glass.
- Garnish with a few Fruit Loops.