The Story Behind The Autumn in the Tropics
There is more to rum than frozen Daiquiris and Piña Coladas. A nationwide tiki renaissance finds modern bartenders exhuming sugary archives and elevating rum drinks into inventive offerings well worth seeking out. One of the more interesting combinations is rum and Aperol, the classic Italian amaro.
Autumn in the Tropics is a mix of rum, Aperol, lemon, and just enough pineapple juice to give the drink a signature foam. Muddled blueberries and a fiery squash blossom put a Northeastern twist on the Caribbean spirit. The resulting drink provides a tropical taste of summer mixed with the flavors of the northern U.S., just as the leaves start to change color.
- .75 ounce of Aperol
- 1.25 ounces of rum
- .75 ounce of pineapple juice
- .75 ounce of lemon juice
- .75 ounce of simple syrup
- 2 dashes of citrus bitters
- 6-8 blueberries
- Squash blossom (optional garnish)
- Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle blueberries.
- Shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Pour into a serving glass.