The Story Behind The Lawn Flamingo
The Springs, a summer paradise in Greenpoint, Brooklyn that oozes mid-century Palms Springs, takes its cocktails seriously. Not too seriously, though — a good number of them are frozen, and those that aren't are brightly colored and lightheartedly named.
The Lawn Flamingo, says co-owner and beverage director Sarah Boisjoli, takes its cues from the Jungle Bird, a cocktail that first appeared at the Aviary Bar at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur in the late 1970s. "It’s a little tiki, a little sweet and tropical from the pineapple, a little tart from the lime, and a little savory from the blackstrap, mezcal, and Campari," she says. "It checks a lot of boxes."
Ingredients In The Lawn Flamingo:
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- 1/4 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce Cruzan Blackstrap
- 1/2 ounce Del Maguey Vida Mezcal
Lawn Flamingo Directions:
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake with ice.
- Strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass or similar.
- Garnish (optional) with a pineapple wedge and a few palm leaves.