The Story Behind The Calvados Old Fashioned
Made with either apples or pears, Calvados is the amazing brandy from the Normandy region of France. It’s very versatile, and can be used in a number of cocktails or sipped on its own. I find the delicate flavors of apple are perfect in an Old Fashioned, especially with the addition of homemade honey syrup.
Ingredients In The Calvados Old Fashioned:
- 2 ounces of Calvados
- ½ ounce of honey syrup (recipe follows)
- 2 dashes of aromatic bitters
- 1 apple, sliced as thinly as possible, for garnish (option)
Calvados Old Fashioned Directions:
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir to combine and chill.
- Strain into glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with apple fan, if using.
Ingredients In The Honey Syrup:
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
Honey Syrup Directions:
- Combine honey and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the honey is dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Chill before using.