The Old Fashioned is one of the oldest cocktails, developed during the 19th century. Originally, an "old fashioned" cocktail was a standard cocktail created by combining spirits, bitters, water, and sugar. This recipe is simple and makes for a classic cocktail that can be enjoyed by many - don’t forget to add that garnish for a hint of citrus.
Although the Old Fashioned might be one of the oldest cocktails in existence, for millions it will always be linked to Don Draper and Mad Men.
The Best Old Fashioned Ingredients:
- Need the right whiskey? See our picks for the best whiskeys for an Old Fashioned!
- Need the right cocktail cherry? See our picks for the best cocktail sherries for an Old Fashioned!
Want to mix things up? Don't miss our most popular Old Fashioned riffs below.
Ingredients In The Best Old Fashioned Recipe
- 2 ½ oz Bourbon (or Rye Whiskey)
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 3 dash Angostura Bitters
- 1 each Lemon and orange twist
Old Fashioned Directions
- Combine first three ingredients in a rocks glass.
- Stir ingredients.
- Add ice.
- Garnish with a lemon and orange twist and enjoy.
Rate This Recipe:
Listen To Our Cocktail College Old Fashioned Podcast