The Story Behind The I Declare
Judson Winquist infuses a bottle of Calvados with a loaf of lightly toasted brioche to use in a cocktail called I Do Declare at Normandie, the bar and restaurant he co-owns in Portland, Ore. With apples and ginger offset by citrusy IPA, it’s the perfect drink to enjoy as the seasons turn.
The infusion is optional in this version. For the real deal, point wagons west to Portland.
- 2 ounces Calvados, preferably brioche-infused
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- ½ ounce ginger syrup
- ½ ounce citrusy IPA, such as Breakside IPA
- Apple slices, nutmeg, and cinnamon for garnish
- Combine Calvados, lemon juice, and ginger syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice, and shake to combine.
- Strain into a Collins glass with fresh ice.
- Top with IPA.
- Garnish with apple slices and freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon.