The Story Behind The Bardstown
This make-ahead bottled cocktail from Maggie Hoffman’s “Batch Cocktails” is a dinner party's boozy best friend. Similar to the American Trilogy cocktail of New York City's Little Branch, the Old Fashioned-esque drink will put your mind and guests at ease.
- 1 ½ cups 100-proof apple brandy, such as Laird’s
- 1 cup 100-proof rye, such as Rittenhouse
- ½ cup triple sec
- 1 tablespoon orange bitters
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 8 orange twists
- At least 1 1/2 hours and up to 2 1/2 hours before serving, use a small funnel to pour apple brandy, rye, triple sec, bitters, and water into a 1-liter swing-top bottle.
- Seal, turn gently to mix, and chill in your freezer. (If you’d prefer to batch further in advance, refrigerate filled bottle, then place in freezer an hour or so before serving.)
- To serve, turn bottle gently to mix again, and then pour into chilled coupe glasses.
- Express the oils from an orange twist over each glass, rub rim of glass with twist, and use twist as garnish.
Rate This Recipe:
Related Reads & Recipes
More Apple Brandy Recipes To Explore
The Calvados Negroni Recipe:
This festive, fall-friendly version of a classic Negroni swaps out gin for Calvados, an apple and pear brandy from Normandy, France. Serve it up!
The Fiery Caramel Apple Hot Toddy Recipe:
Made with apple brandy and Fireball Cinammon Whisky (no seriously), this hot toddy tastes like spiced cider. Trying to cure a cold? Learn how to make this easy recipe and you'll feel better fast.
The Tropical Toddy Recipe:
From San Antonio's historic Esquire Tavern comes this versatile hot toddy recipe. Learn how to make a hot toddy with bourbon, brandy, or rum here.
The Sweet New Year Recipe:
This very autumnal twist on a classic Old Fashioned features apple brandy and honey syrup. Learn how to make this cocktail with this easy recipe!
Annette Scratch to Table’s Affordable Pear Act:
This drink from Annette Scratch to Table infuses apple brandy with chamomile tea, with calming notes of pear tea, honey, and lemon.
The Jack Rose Royale Recipe:
Laird's, a historic American apple brandy, headlines this riff on the classic Jack Rose cocktail by Pegu Club bartender Kenta Goto.