The Story Behind The Bardstown
This make-ahead bottled cocktail from Maggie Hoffman’s “Batch Cocktails” is a dinner party's boozy best friend. Similar to the American Trilogy cocktail of New York City's Little Branch, the Old Fashioned-esque drink will put your mind and guests at ease.
- 1 ½ cups 100-proof apple brandy, such as Laird’s
- 1 cup 100-proof rye, such as Rittenhouse
- ½ cup triple sec
- 1 tablespoon orange bitters
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 8 orange twists
- At least 1 1/2 hours and up to 2 1/2 hours before serving, use a small funnel to pour apple brandy, rye, triple sec, bitters, and water into a 1-liter swing-top bottle.
- Seal, turn gently to mix, and chill in your freezer. (If you’d prefer to batch further in advance, refrigerate filled bottle, then place in freezer an hour or so before serving.)
- To serve, turn bottle gently to mix again, and then pour into chilled coupe glasses.
- Express the oils from an orange twist over each glass, rub rim of glass with twist, and use twist as garnish.
Rate This Recipe:
Related Reads & Recipes
More Brandy Recipes To Explore
Get our recipe for a great Sazerac. Learn everything you need to know to make a perfect Sazerac.
Get our recipe for a great Brandy Crusta. Learn everything you need to know to make a perfect Brandy Crusta.
The Brandy Holiday Sour Recipe:
A fragrant and flavorful brandy cocktail, perfect for the holidays, or whenever you want to show off. Egg whites add body and a delicate foam.
Annette Scratch to Table’s Affordable Pear Act:
This drink from Annette Scratch to Table infuses apple brandy with chamomile tea, with calming notes of pear tea, honey, and lemon.
Hennessy Hot Toddy Recipe:
The Hennessy Hot Toddy, with its hints of lemon, cinnamon, and maple syrup, is the perfect winter drink to get you through the second half of January.
Get our recipe for a great Coffee Cocktail. Learn everything you need to know to make a perfect Coffee Cocktail.