The Story Behind The Bardstown
This make-ahead bottled cocktail from Maggie Hoffman’s “Batch Cocktails” is a dinner party's boozy best friend. Similar to the American Trilogy cocktail of New York City's Little Branch, the Old Fashioned-esque drink will put your mind and guests at ease.
- 1 ½ cups 100-proof apple brandy, such as Laird’s
- 1 cup 100-proof rye, such as Rittenhouse
- ½ cup triple sec
- 1 tablespoon orange bitters
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 8 orange twists
- At least 1 1/2 hours and up to 2 1/2 hours before serving, use a small funnel to pour apple brandy, rye, triple sec, bitters, and water into a 1-liter swing-top bottle.
- Seal, turn gently to mix, and chill in your freezer. (If you’d prefer to batch further in advance, refrigerate filled bottle, then place in freezer an hour or so before serving.)
- To serve, turn bottle gently to mix again, and then pour into chilled coupe glasses.
- Express the oils from an orange twist over each glass, rub rim of glass with twist, and use twist as garnish.