The Story Behind The Ancient Old Fashioned
Fat-washing, a popular practice in certain cocktail circles, sounds a lot harder to execute than it actually is. You simply combine the spirit of your choosing with a fatty ingredient, freeze the mixture, and then skim the fat that collects at the top. That’s it! You’ve just fat-washed.
At Hutong, an NYC restaurant inspired by northern Chinese cuisine, bartenders fat-wash bourbon with sesame oil for this clever riff on an Old Fashioned. If you have any sesame-infused bourbon leftover (unlikely), it also makes a tasty Highball with tonic.
- 1 ounce sesame oil-infused bourbon (recipe follows)
- 1 ounce Hennessy Black
- ¼ ounce Benedictine
- 5 drops Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters
- 1 whole lantern chili for garnish (optional)
- Combine all liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl with ice.
- Stir vigorously.
- Strain into a double rocks glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with chili, if using.
Rate This Recipe:
Sesame-Infused Bourbon Ingredients
- 10 ounces bourbon
- 2 ounces sesame oil
Sesame-Infused Bourbon Directions
- Combine ingredients in a bottle and shake vigorously.
- Cover and let rest overnight.
- After resting, pour mixture into a large, shallow bowl and place in the freezer.
- When the mixture is frozen, heavy solids will freeze at the top. Remove top layer and discard, storing the remaining sesame-infused bourbon in a covered bottle.