The Story Behind The Penicillin
There are no antibiotics in this drink, but it’s a pretty fail-safe remedy for the winter blues. An incredibly flavorful, Scotch-based cocktail, the Penicillin manages to be both boozy and refreshing. Fresh lemon and ginger provide pleasing bite, while honey adds smoothness.
In addition to the blended Scotch base, a float of Islay Scotch finishes things off.
- 2 ounces blended Scotch, such as Monkey Shoulder or Famous Grouse
- ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
- ¾ ounce honey simple syrup
- 4 nickel-sized slices of ginger
- ¼ ounce smoky Islay Scotch
- Put ginger slices and honey syrup in the base of a shaker and gently muddle.
- Combine other ingredients (except Islay Scotch) and shake with ice.
- Double-strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- Float the Islay Scotch over the top of the drink by pouring it over a bar spoon for even distribution.
- Garnish with candied ginger on a cocktail pick.