The Story Behind The R&D’s Hot Oaxacan Penicillin
Beloved Philadelphia cocktail bar R&D features over 20 specialty cocktails, including this take on the classic Hot Toddy and Penicillin. Taking the ginger, honey, and lemon elements of the latter, the Hot Oaxacan Penicillin adds in hot water and both tequila and mezcal to give the cocktail a tropical feel while remaining true to the Toddy’s wintry appeal.
- 1 ½ ounces Teremana Reposado tequila
- ½ ounce mezcal
- ½ ounce ginger syrup (2 parts white sugar to 1 part ginger juice)
- ¼ ounce honey syrup (2 parts honey to 1 part water)
- Garnish: Lemon wheel
- Assemble ingredients in a tempered glass mug.
- Top with hot water (about 4 ounces)
- Garnish with a lemon wheel.