The Story Behind The Scotch Old Fashioned
Few drinks carry the air of sophistication that an Old Fashioned does. The classic cocktail has been around since the 19th century, making it one of the oldest drinks in existence. This riff gives the beloved cocktail a Celtic twist, subbing out the Old Fashioned’s usual bourbon or rye for Scotch whisky.
The flavors inherent in Scotch give this variation a smokier and oakier flavor than the original, along with a more matured flavor profile. If your Old Fashioned needs a refresh, subbing in Scotch is a great way to mix it up.
- 2 ounces blended Scotch
- 1 teaspoon Demerara or simple syrup
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Garnish: orange zest
- Combine ingredients in a mixing glass and stir with ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large cube.
- Garnish with a nicely manicured orange peel.