The Story Behind The Dulce De Leche Hot Chocolate
The cold winter holidays give us the chance to regress to our childhood and indulge in one of the simplest of life’s pleasures: hot chocolate. But now that we’re adults, we can make our piping hot chocolate boozy.
Today I am sharing a rendition that’s spiked with rum and Dulce de Leche, making this a dessert and a cocktail in one glass. So forget basic sauces like chocolate and caramel–Dulce de Leche gives a sweet but sophisticated finish, one that’s as distinct as it is delightful. Dark rum adds a little punch and settles the nerves. This cocktail can be served as a hot dessert for those with a bit of space left after dinner, or can be served any time through the day for those who just need to relax and escape to somewhere warm.
- 1.5 ounces of rum
- 1 cup of hot chocolate, prepared
- ¼ cup of Dulce de Leche sauce for the bottom of the glass
- Whipped cream or marshmallows, for garnish
- Add Dulce de Leche sauce to a mug or serving glass.
- Add hot chocolate and rum then stir.
- Garnish with whipped cream or marshmallows, and a drizzle of Dulche de Leche.