The Story Behind The Grapefruit Negroni
This week is Negroni Week. I made this delicious variation to celebrate and recognize one of the most popular classic cocktails of all time. The Negroni is always said to be the cocktail of threes: It should be made with three equal parts, should take three sips to drink, and you need to try it at least three times before you really enjoy it. Of course, when you can make a variation that is a little more palatable for your personal taste, you might really fall in love the first time around.
This variation amplifies the characteristics of the Campari (a necessary ingredient) in a subtle and delicious way. I kept the first two components as they should be with gin and Campari, but for the third I substituted the vermouth for a grapefruit-honey syrup. The combination is phenomenal, and with the lower alcohol content you can imbibe a little longer. Try this delicious variation and celebrate Negroni Week with us!
Ingredients In The Grapefruit Negroni:
- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce grapefruit-honey syrup
Grapefruit Negroni Directions:
- Combine ingredients into a mixing glass with ice
- Stir gently to combine and dilute ingredients
- Strain over fresh ice
- Garnish and Enjoy!
Grapefruit Honey Syrup
Ingredients In The Grapefruit Honey Syrup:
- 1 cup honey
- Peels from 2 large grapefruits
Grapefruit Honey Syrup Directions:
- Peel 2 large grapefruits, making sure there is as little pith as possible
- Put honey and peels into a small pot and bring to a boil
- Allow to rest and infuse
- Chill in the fridge until you need it