The Story Behind The Negroni Pops
Despite the back-to-school ads, there’s still plenty of summer left to be enjoyed! Let’s be honest; despite visions of leaves turning, the temperatures aren’t going to abate until the end of September at the earliest. So why not add another summer treat of the boozy variety to your repertoire? These Negroni Pops combine the classic negroni cocktail’s signature ingredients - gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth - with a sweet-and-sour strawberry and grapefruit juice in a frosty adult popsicle. Don’t feel like making your own juice? Store-bought will do just fine, and while the strawberry and grapefruit combo mimics the sweetness of the vermouth and the bitterness of the Campari, feel free to experiment with your own juice preferences.
Ingredients In The Negroni Pops:
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought strawberry-grapefruit juice
- 2 oz. gin
- 2 oz. Campari
- 2 oz. sweet vermouth (like Dolin Rouge)
Negroni Pops Directions:
- Combine juice, gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth. Stir well.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds and let freeze overnight.
- Carefully remove popsicles from the molds and voilà! A boozy summer treat is at your service.
Ingredients In The Strawberry-Grapefruit Juice:
- 1 lb. strawberries, greens removed
- 2 grapefruits
- ½ cup sugar
Strawberry-Grapefruit Juice Directions:
- Put strawberries in a blender and add water until strawberries are just barely covered. Blend until combined and strain; this should give you two cups of juice.
- Juice grapefruits until you have about two cups of juice. Add to the strawberry juice.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.