The Story Behind The Toasted Coconut Sour
Pairing pomegranate with tropical coconut is incredibly satisfying — and the perfect antidote the winter blues. I infuse simple syrup with toasted coconut in this drink, and it offsets tart pomegranate beautifully. In fact, I like the syrup so much that I usually make extra, and use it in other drinks, like a classic Daiquiri, for a sunny dose of sweetness.
Toasted Coconut Syrup Ingredients
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Toasted Coconut Syrup Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet evenly.
- Bake for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the flakes start to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once your coconut flakes are at room temperature, add them to a medium saucepan with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water over medium heat.
- Simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Strain out the coconut solids and cool syrup before use. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.