The Story Behind The Jamaican Rum Punch
One of the most cherished aspects of drinking cocktails is that the flavors have the potential to transport you to another time or place. This one is for the people that desperately need a tropical vacation, but who just need it to come to them instead. This Caribbean-inspired tipple calls for flavors of pineapple, lime, coconut, pepper, mint, and cinnamon which are fool-proof flavor pairings that will always deliver.
While this tiki-natured punch is a bit more labor intensive, it’s for good reason: Good things come to those who wait. Use the freshest ingredients possible and, after the initial infusion, the French press will apply the necessary pressure to release some of the additional flavor from the solid elements of the drink. The longer the mix marinates, the greater the flavor; so sip, savor, and relish this one.
- 1 cup Jamaican rum
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier
- ½ cup pineapple
- ⅓ cup lime
- ¼ cup simple syrup
- Toasted coconut (chips or chunks)
- Jalapeño (sliced)
- Mint leaves
- Cinnamon stick
- Add rum and toasted coconut to the French press and allow the mix to infuse for at least 20 mins.
- Then, add half of a sliced jalapeño, a halved cinnamon stick, and a handful of mint leaves to the French press before topping with the rest of the ingredients.
- Let the mix rest for 10 minutes, then press to separate the solids from the liquids.
- To serve, strain over ice in a double rocks glass and garnish with either mint or a pineapple leaf.