The Story Behind The Morning Margarita
This early-rising iteration is spiked with bright, bracing lemon-ginger simple syrup and orange juice. It debuted on the brunch menu at Virtuous Pie, a Portland, Ore., plant-based pizza and ice cream shop, in spring 2018, but we’re inclined to serve it year-round.
It batches beautifully, too, making it ideal for thirsty houseguests or at-home brunch parties.
Ingredients In The Morning Margarita:
- 3 ounces tequila
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon-ginger simple syrup (recipe below)
- 4 ounces orange juice
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
Morning Margarita Directions:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all ingredients except cayenne and shake to combine.
- Pour into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a dash of cayenne, if using.
Lemon-ginger simple syrup
Ingredients In The Lemon-ginger simple syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 cup lemon juice
Lemon-ginger simple syrup Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Store, covered, until ready to use.