The Story Behind The Hibiscus Colada
Tiki cocktails are really fun to make at home. Some entail a long list of ingredients but others, like the Pina Colada, one of my favorites, are pretty easy to put together. This Hibiscus Colada puts a personal spin on that classic by adding hibiscus syrup, another very simple home recipe. I also swapped out the heavy coconut cream for lighter coconut yogurt. To balance out the sweet flavors, I topped this concoction with aromatic bitters.
- 2 ounces rum
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce hibiscus simple syrup
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoon coconut yogurt
- 2 to 4 dashes cocktail bitters
- Lime wheel for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except bitters and garnish in a shaker.
- Shake hard to chill and combine.
- Strain into glass over crushed ice, and add a few dashes of bitters
- Garnish with lime wheel, if using.
Hibiscus Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dried hibiscus flowers
Hibiscus Simple Syrup Directions
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan.
- Simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Strain into storage bottle, cool, and store, refrigerated, for up to two weeks.