The Story Behind The Five-Spiced Mai Tai
The classic Mai Tai always makes me feel like I’m on a beach somewhere. This variation has a tropical twist, made with a five-spice-infused syrup that combines Szechuan pepper, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, and a little fennel seed.
I also use some orange juice in this concoction to add sweetness. I balance it with aromatic bitters on top, in place of dark rum.
- 1 ½ ounces white rum
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce orange juice
- ½ ounce triple sec
- ½ ounce five-spice syrup
- ½ ounce aromatic bitters
- Combine all ingredients except bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake to chill and combine.
- Strain over crushed ice into a Highball glass.
- Float aromatic bitters on top
- Garnish with star anise and rosemary.
- Toast with an open flame.