The Story Behind The Extra Spicy Bloody Mary
The Bloody Mary’s history is one shrouded in famed figures. It was named after the brutal Queen Mary I of England, and was notoriously loved by the late author Ernest Hemingway. Despite its unpleasant namesake, there’s no denying that the Bloody Mary is utterly delicious. We can only hope to say “Bloody Mary” three times and have one of these tasty drinks appear before our eyes. Such a mystical occurrence might not be all that surprising; after all, Bloody Marys do seem to have the magical property of curing hangovers.
A good Bloody hits all the right savory notes, but a great Bloody hits the spicy ones, too. Read on for a recipe that adds a welcome kick to the classic cocktail.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 dashes of your preferred hot sauce
- Garnish: celery, pickled asparagus, stuffed olives, lemon, or lime. Everything bagel seasoning for the rim.
- Take your glass and coat the rim of it with half a lemon or lime, then gently press the glass into the everything bagel seasoning to coat the rim.
- Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
- To up the spiciness level, add additional dashes of hot sauce or add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Shake with ice, then strain into your prepared glass.
- Have fun with the garnish! Add stuffed olives, pickled asparagus, celery, citrus, etc.