The Story Behind The Eggnog Flip
Eggnog is a beloved holiday beverage, delivering a creamy texture and rich seasonal flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. This season, if you’re craving eggnog but don’t want to hover for too long over the stove, consider the Eggnog Flip from Patty Dennison of NYC’s Grand Army Bar.
The base of the cocktail consists of rum, amontillado sherry, and St. George Spiced Pear Liqueur, which provides a robust and complex range of autumnal spices boosted with the addition of cinnamon syrup. The classic eggnog texture comes from one whole egg added into the mix, which seamlessly binds the flavors of the cocktail and creates that luscious mouthfeel.
This recipe is part of our 2023 Holiday Cocktail Countdown. Click here to see all of the festive recipes as they publish throughout December.
Cinnamon Syrup Ingredients
- 20 grams cinnamon sticks
- 500 grams white sugar
- 500 grams water
Cinnamon Syrup Directions
- Place whole cinnamon sticks in a heavy bottom saucepan.
- Crush up the cinnamon sticks with a wooden spoon and lightly toast on low heat until aromatic.
- Add water and bring to a roaring boil.
- Add white sugar and bring back to a boil.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Strain into a container, label, and date.