The Story Behind The Cranberry Apple Hot Toddy
November is here and that means it’s time to start drinking warming cocktails. While there are a host of warm cocktails to choose from, one of my absolute favorites is the traditional hot toddy. Not only does it help to soothe your cold, it’s also absolutely delicious.
The traditional hot toddy recipe is simply a mix of whiskey, hot water, honey, and lemon. But as you know, I love creating twists on the classics, so today I am sharing a recipe for a cranberry and apple hot toddy. Cranberry and apple not only add a seasonal flair, they also provide a taste upgrade to the traditional cocktail and it’s still dead simple to make. Instead of using hot water, substitute cranberry and apple juice to make the cocktail extra festive and tasty. I also used bourbon to amp up the spiciness of the drink because it pairs well with cranberry and apple as well as citrus.
So if you’re in need of a new and easy cocktail recipe for the holidays, give this seasonal cranberry and apple hot toddy a try. It’s easy to make and the perfect substitute for that nightly hot tea before bedtime.
- 1.5 ounces of bourbon
- 2 ounces of apple juice
- 3 ounces of cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 star anise pod and slices of apple, for garnish
- Heat apple, cranberry, and lemon juice in small saucepan then add honey and stir until dissolved.
- Remove mixture from heat and pour into serving glass.
- Add bourbon, stir to combine and serve.
- Garnish with slices of apple and star anise pod.