The Story Behind The Colonial
Dushan Zaric, co-founder of legendary cocktail bar Employees Only, created this drink for airy NYC cafe Shoo Shoo. It’s a great showcase for seasonal rhubarb — not to mention that open bottle of sparkling wine you might have in the fridge.
- 1 ½ ounces Aperol
- ½ ounce gin, such as Fords
- ¾ ounce lemon juice
- ¾ ounce rhubarb syrup (recipe follows)
- Pinch pink salt
- Sparkling rosé, to top
- Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass.
- Add one large ice cube and stir rapidly to combine.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice and top with sparkling rosé.
Rhubarb Syrup Ingredients
- 3 stalks rhubarb, rinsed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Rhubarb Syrup Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Strain out solids.
- Store covered in refrigerator for up to three weeks.