The Story Behind The Spicy Margarita
While the classic Margarita is the world’s favorite tequila cocktail, there’s no harm in adding a spicy twist to the tangy drink. In this recipe, the piquancy of bird’s eye chili enhances the earthiness of the tequila’s agave, offering a welcomed contrast to the citrusy sweetness of orange liqueur. This results in a burst of flavor with each sip that is familiar and exciting, all at once.
Crafting the bird’s eye chili syrup may take a few minutes, but we promise it’s worth it. The syrup’s heat will be somewhat tempered by triple sec’s sweetness, meaning it will be just present enough to give your cocktail a lively kick.
- 2 ounces tequila blanco
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur (like triple sec or Cointreau)
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 ounce bird’s eye chili syrup (recipe follows)
- Garnish: salt rim, bird’s eye chili
- Rim a rocks glass with salt and set aside to dry.
- Add the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and chili syrup to a shaker with ice, and shake until cold.
- Strain into salt-rimmed glass with fresh ice.
- Garnish with bird’s eye chili.
Bird’s Eye Chili Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 bird’s eye chilies, sliced, seeds removed
Bird’s Eye Chili Syrup Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until sugar dissolves and then remove from heat.
- Once cool, strain into a container and store, covered, in the refrigerator.