The Story Behind The Spicy Margarita
Today, the Spicy Margarita encompasses a category in its own right. Since the early aughts, this riff has spawned countless other hot takes on the original Marg, incorporating herbs, spice-infused syrups, and just about every type of fruit under the sun.
In this recipe, the sting of bird’s eye chili enhances the earthiness of the tequila’s agave, offering a welcomed contrast to the citrusy sweetness of orange liqueur. This results in a burst of flavor with each sip that is familiar and exciting, all at once.
Crafting the bird’s eye chili syrup may take a few minutes, but it’s worth it. The syrup’s heat will be somewhat tempered by triple sec’s sweetness. The result: a fiery-hot thirst-quencher that's sure to satisfy all agave fans.
The Best Margarita Ingredients:
- Need the right tequila? See our picks for the best tequilas for Margaritas!
- Need the right liqueur? See our picks for the best triple secs and orange liqueurs for Margaritas!
- Short on time? See our picks for the best Margarita mixes!
Read on for the Spicy Margarita Recipe!
Bird’s Eye Chili Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 bird’s eye chilies, sliced, seeds removed
Bird’s Eye Chili Syrup Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until sugar dissolves and then remove from heat.
- Once cool, strain into a container and store, covered, in the refrigerator.