The Story Behind The Jalapeño Margarita
A bit of spice can elevate any Margarita. It harmonizes with both the subtle sweetness of agave and the bright zestiness of orange liqueur. The Jalapeño Margarita offers a slightly fresher, more vegetal flavor profile than that of the Spicy Margarita, which is made with bird’s eye chili. The succulent taste of fresh jalapeño adds a nice kick to a classic Marg; the pepper’s freshness plays well with the earthiness of the tequila and makes for a lively riff on America’s favorite cocktail.
- ½ jalapeño, sliced
- 2 ounces tequila blanco
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur (like triple sec or Cointreau)
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce agave syrup
- Garnish: salt rim, jalapeño slice
- Rim a rocks glass with salt and set aside to dry.
- Add the sliced jalapeño to a shaker and muddle until slightly broken down.
- Add the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, agave, and ice and shake until cold.
- Strain into salt-rimmed glass with fresh ice.
- Garnish with jalapeño slice.