The Story Behind The Berry-Mezcal Colada
When the weather outside is cold and dreary, I like to take mental trips to tropical destinations via my home bar. This decadent cocktail helps me pretend I’m someplace else, the sort of place where there isn’t snow on the ground and fog on the windshield.
The Berry-Mezcal Colada is a little on the sweet side, but if your tastes prefer tarter flavors you can make a big difference by varying the components just a little. I intentionally chose mezcal as its base because, well, I am obsessed with mezcal; also, its smokiness really cuts through the sweetness. The best balance, though, comes from the fresh lime juice. If you want to eliminate sweetness even more, you can swap the lime for fresh lemon juice. (But, in truth, I think it’s great just the way it is!)
- 1 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce crème de cassis
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce coconut cream
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- Crush ice.
- Combine mezcal, crème de cassis, lime juice, and orange bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake hard to chill and combine.
- Fill a Highball glass with crushed ice.
- Strain shaken ingredients over crushed ice.
- Top with coconut cream.
- Mix and enjoy!