The Story Behind The Mezcal Margarita
This Margarita employs the talents of mezcal, tequila’s lesser-known, agave-based cousin. Mezcal imparts this cocktail with a smokiness that tempers the citrusy and tart elements in a traditional Marg. While not as easy-drinking as the original, this rendition is every bit as enjoyable for those who look to venture beyond the bounds of their typical blancos, reposados, and añejos.
- 2 ounces mezcal
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur (like triple sec or Cointreau)
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar
- Garnish: salt rim, lime wheel
- Rim a rocks glass with salt and set aside to dry.
- Combine mezcal, orange liqueur, lime juice, and agave in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until cold.
- Strain into salt-rimmed glass with fresh ice.
- Garnish with lime wheel.