The Story Behind The Winter Citrus
There is something about the flavor and color of winter citrus that makes everything happy and bright — even when it is cold, gray, and possibly snowing outside.
There are so many varieties in season, too, like blood oranges, mandarins, and tangelos. I found some super-delicious tangelos and lemons at my local market and paired their juices with honey syrup and sparkling wine in this bubbly winter cocktail. It’s built in the glass, so it’s super easy to prepare for a crowd.
Ingredients In The Winter Citrus:
- 1 ½ ounces of gin
- 1 ounce of tangelo juice
- ½ ounce of honey syrup (recipe follows)
- ½ Meyer lemon juice
- Top with Prosecco
- Garnish: citrus peel and cherries (optional)
Winter Citrus Directions:
- Add all ingredients except Prosecco to a wine glass with ice.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with Prosecco and stir again, and then add garnishes (if using).
Ingredients In The Honey Syrup:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
Honey Syrup Directions:
- Add honey and water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and stir until honey dissolves.
- Cool mixture and store, covered, in refrigerator.