The Story Behind The Honey Rye Manhattan
This rye-based cocktail combines all of my favorite warming winter flavors, including honey, winter citrus, and amaro. (Ever since tasting Italy’s honey amari, which can be hard to find in the United States, I love finding ways to pair honey and amaro in cocktails.) I plan to drink this cocktail by a fire until winter ends.
- 1 ½ ounces rye whiskey
- ½ ounce amaro
- ½ ounce tangerine juice
- ½ ounce honey syrup (recipe follows)
- 2-3 dashes aromatic bitters
- Citrus peel garnish
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail tin, and shake to combine.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with a rolled citrus peel.
Honey Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
Honey Syrup Directions
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until honey is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.