The Story Behind The Down in Flames
From Normandie, a new restaurant in Portland, Ore., comes this boozy, moody cocktail. Developed by Judson Winquist, Normandie’s co-owner and an industry veteran, it drinks like a smoky Old Fashioned, with a split base of high-proof rye and mezcal.
It’s one of the most popular cocktails at Normandie, Winquist says. It's easy to see why.
Ingredients In The Down in Flames:
- 1 ounce mezcal
- ¾ ounce 100-proof rye whiskey
- 1/2 ounce Punt e Mes
- 1/4 ounce triple sec, such as Combier
- 1/4 ounce crème de cacao
- 2 dashes mole bitters
- Orange peel, for garnish
Down in Flames Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice, and stir until chilled.
- Strain into rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Gently express an orange peel over the top of the drink, and use peel as a garnish.