The Story Behind The Dashing Daiquiri
The Daiquiri is my go-to cocktail order, but I never have the same Daiquiri twice. Wherever I am in the world, I’ll ask my bartender to fix me a version that incorporates the local culture — whether it’s a spirit, liqueur, or ingredient that the destination is known for, I love getting to taste it in a Daiquiri. Usually, 99 percent of the time, it turns out delicious.
I came up with this Daiquiri variation after spending time in the Caribbean. I wanted to play around with a “sour” Daiquiri by incorporating grapefruit juice. The egg white gives it a great mouthfeel and rounder flavor profile, bringing the rum, citrus, and sugar together.
- 2 ounces white rum
- ¾ ounce grapefruit juice
- ¾ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 1 egg white
- A few dashes of bitters (I used Angostura)
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake hard to chill and combine.
- Strain out ice.
- Shake hard again to further emulsify ingredients.
- Fine strain into a coupe glass.
- Add a few dashes of bitters on top as a garnish.