The Story Behind The Blue Skies Ahead
I’ve been on a tiki cocktail kick lately. After visiting several tiki bars, I was inspired to make some tropical drinks at home. I served this Blue Skies Ahead cocktail when I had some people over for a summer BBQ, and it was a hit! The crushed ice is especially great on a very hot day.
- 2 ounces pineapple rum
- ½ ounce pineapple juice
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce blue Curacao
- ½ ounce of toasted coconut syrup (recipe follows)
- Pineapple fronds, paper umbrella, or edible flowers for garnish (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake to combine.
- Strain over crushed ice, and garnish with pineapple fronds, edible flowers, and/or a paper umbrella.
Toasted Coconut Syrup Ingredients
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Toasted Coconut Syrup Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread coconut flakes evenly on a baking sheet, and bake for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the flakes start to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Add cooled coconut flakes to a medium saucepan with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water over medium heat.
- Simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Strain out the coconut solids and cool syrup before use. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.