The Story Behind The Barbadian Rum Punch
Barbados’s rum punch culture is incredible, and it seems like almost everyone on the island has their own recipe. (There is a poem on how to build a good punch: One of sour/ Two of sweet/ Three of strong/ Four of weak/ A dash of bitters and a sprinkle of spice/ Serve well chilled with plenty of ice.) This is my version.
- 2 ounces aged rum
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 6 dashes aromatic bitters, divided
- 1 ounce coconut water
- Grated nutmeg and lime peel, for garnish
- Combine rum, lime juice, simple syrup, coconut water, and 3 dashes of aromatic bitters in a shaker.
- Shake to combine, and then strain into a glass over crushed ice.
- Top with 3 dashes of bitters and grated nutmeg.
- Garnish with lime peel.