The Story Behind The Spicy Turmeric Margarita
This week we are getting really “healthy” with ingredients you can usually find at home. If you know anything about turmeric or chili peppers, you know that they are both believed to contain great health properties. And, of course, alcohol was almost always originally crafted for its medicinal effects, so clearly there’s something behind that. Today we combined these ingredients to create an elixir that would finally do away with those winter blues and welcome spring with arms wide open.
The Margarita is a cocktail that has always had a place in my heart. The earthy flavor of tequila really brings these two other flavors together. A little turmeric goes a long way in cocktails, and most other things, too. So we concentrated on the tequila side of things to give this cocktail balance and depth. Adding some Citrónage Lime and lime juice just really makes everything pop.
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce Citrónage Lime
- 1 ounce lime luice
- 1 chopped red chili pepper
- 1 pinch turmeric
- Salt Mix: ½ ounce turmeric, ½ ounce chili powder and 2 ounces course salt
- Rim glass with salt mix
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake hard to dissolve turmeric and chill ingredients
- Fine strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass
- Garnish with a lime wheel