The Story Behind The Spicy Blood Orange Margarita
Embrace your fall feelings with a citrus-forward, spicy Margarita. Tequila and blood oranges star in this recipe and get a kick from homemade jalapeño syrup. Sub in mezcal if you are feeling extra piquant.
- 2 ounces tequila reposado
- 1 ounce blood orange juice
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ¾ ounce jalapeño syrup (recipe follows)
- Blood orange wheel and edible flower, for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake for approximately 30 seconds to chill and combine ingredients.
- Strain into a double Old Fashioned glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a blood orange wheel and edible flower, if using.
Jalapeño Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
Jalapeño Syrup Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until sugar dissolves and then remove from heat.
- Once cool, strain into a fresh container and store, covered, in the refrigerator.