The Story Behind The Salty Dog
The Salty Dog is a riff on the vodka-based Greyhound, a pucker-worthy drink made with grapefruit juice and vodka that is believed to have been first served at Greyhound bus stations in the 1940s. The Salty Dog is made with the same ingredients as the Greyhound, but is differentiated by its salted rim. While the Salty Dog is typically made with vodka, many prefer to use gin for a more herbaceous twist. Whatever your preferred spirit, just stir in some fresh grapefruit juice, salt the rim of your Highball glass, and you’re good to go.
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka (or gin, if you prefer)
- 4 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Garnish: salt rim, grapefruit slice
- Rim a Highball glass with salt.
- Fill the glass with ice, then add the vodka and grapefruit juice and stir carefully to combine.
- Garnish with grapefruit slice.