The Story Behind The Mai Mojito Colada
Running up to Halloween this year, I’ve already treated myself to one too many Halloween inspired cocktails, so now I find myself dreaming of somewhere tropical where I can just lay back and relax.
Today’s cocktail is a combination of my three favorite tropical rum cocktails; the Mai Tai, the Mojito and the Piña Colada as I couldn’t decide on which I wanted more. I’m using rum as the primary spirit for my concoction but from each of the cocktails I have taken the most pronounced flavor in order to build a cocktail that makes me think of a Creamsicle and tastes like I am laying in a hammock on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean.
- 1.5 ounces white rum
- 0.5 ounce orange curaçao
- 2 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 0.5 ounce mint simple syrup (recipe below)
- 0.5 ounce coconut cream
- 1 mint sprig
- 1.5 cups ice
- Combine white rum, orange curacao, orange juice, lime juice, mint simple syrup and ½ cup of ice into shaker.
- Shake hard to combine and chill ingredients and strain into hi-ball glass over fresh ice.
- Float coconut cream.
- Garnish with mint sprig.
Mint Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 3 ounces water
- 3 ounces sugar
- 5 mint leaves
Mint Simple Syrup Directions
- Combine water, sugar and mint leaves in a small saucepan.
- Bring to boil and then simmer until sugar is dissolved and mint is infused.
- Leave for 5 minutes to cool.