The Story Behind The Brunch With the Parents
Grand Army Tavern is a fantastic neighborhood bar in northeast Portland, Ore. Run by a husband-and-wife team, this stylish, laid-back spot emphasizes sustainability and seasonal ingredients.
Anna Maceda runs the beverage program, developing various cocktails with fresh-squeezed juices and house-made syrups. The menu even includes a pretty substantial “no-proof” section for those who still want a complex beverage without the buzz.
This cocktail features both rosé wine and a splash of rum, but it is low-proof enough to be perfect for weekend brunch or day drinking. I personally don’t like having to choose between ordering rosé or a cocktail — with this drink you can have both!
Ingredients In The Brunch With the Parents:
- 1/2 ounce Appleton rum
- 3/4 ounce rosehip simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 1/4 ounce strawberry puree
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 3 drops rosewater
- 4 ounces rosé wine
- Seltzer to top
- Lemon twist garnish (optional)
Brunch With the Parents Directions:
- Combine all ingredients except rosé and seltzer in a shaker with ice. Shake to combine.
- Double strain over fresh ice in a wine glass.
- Add wine and a splash of seltzer.
- Garnish with a lemon twist (optional).
Rosehip Simple Syrup
Ingredients In The Rosehip Simple Syrup:
- 10 rosehip tea bags
- 8 ounces water
- 16 ounces sugar
Rosehip Simple Syrup Directions:
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, and then remove from heat.
- Let sit 20 minutes, and then strain.
- Let cool, and then store covered in the refrigerator.