The Story Behind The Christmas Eve of Destruction
At NYC's Boilermaker, winter means it's time for Sippin' Santa, a Christmas-meets-tiki pop-up presented by Beachbum Berry. This recipe developed by Cocktail Kingdom General Manager Joann Spiegel swizzles overproof rum, herbal liqueur, nutmeg syrup, lime, and a dash of bitters for a boozy, naughty-or-nice treat.
- 1 ounce overproof rum, such as Plantation OFTD
- 1 ounce Benedictine
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce nutmeg syrup (syrup recipe follows)
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Combine ingredients in a glass 2⁄3 filled with crushed ice.
- Swizzle with swizzle stick in glass.
- Add more crushed ice to fill.
- Garnish with lime wheel, studded with 3 to 5 cloves, half-sunk in drink.
- Dust with grated nutmeg.
Nutmeg Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
Nutmeg Syrup Directions
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, sugar, and ground nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Let cool, then strain into a clean glass jar for storage.