The flavors of bourbon can be attributed to a few things, such as aging and barrel type, but the most crucial factor at play is the mash bill. A unique mixture of grains that are cooked, fermented, then distilled, the mash bill is the DNA that makes each bourbon different in taste.

By law, every bourbon mash bill must contain 51 percent corn, leaving the other 49 percent up to the distiller. Though barley and rye are most commonly used to round out the bill, other grains such as wheat or malted barley can also be added. Each grain imparts its own noticeable flavor, adding depth to the sweetness developed by the corn.

With almost half the composition to experiment with, distillers are tasked with creating a blend that is well balanced and distinct to their brands. For consumers, understanding the mash bill of a particular bourbon can be a helpful way to determine whether or not its taste will suit your preference. For instance, George Dickel, whose mash bill is 84 percent corn, 8 percent rye, and 8 percent barley, is known to have a sweet and decadent flavor likely attributable to the bill’s high percentage of corn.

Whether your preference is a high-rye bourbon or an elusive wheated style, a small amount of mash bill knowledge can go a long way. Here, we’ve broken down the mash bills of a few popular bourbons to help guide your taste exploration. Read on to see the numerical makeup of your favorite.

13 Famous Bourbon Mash Bills Compared — A Guide to the most important mash bills in the world of bourbon

Bourbon Brand Corn Barley Rye Wheat
Bakers 75% 12% 13%
Basil Hayden 63% 10% -27%
Bulleit Bourbon 68% 4% 28%
Elijah Craig 78% 12% 10%
FEW Spirits 70% 10% 20%
Four Roses Single Barrel 60% 5% 35%
George Dickel 84% 8% 8%
Jack Daniel’s 80% 12% 8%
Jim Beam 75% 12% 13%
Knob Creek 75% 12% 13%
Maker’s Mark 70% 14% 16%
Old Forester 72% 10% 18%
Old Grand-dad Bottled in Bond 63% 10% 27%
Wild Turkey 75% 12% 13%
Woodford Reserve 72% 10% 18%