The Story Behind The Montenegro Hot Toddy
From the Catskills’ Urban Cowboy Lodge, the Montenegro Hot Toddy combines the nutty notes of bourbon and cinnamon syrup with Solera cream sherry, herbaceous and citrusy Amaro Montenegro, and apple brandy. Ideal for thirsty mountaineers, this cocktail is complex and warming.
- 1 ounce Amaro Montenegro
- 1 ounce Old Forester Bourbon
- ¼ ounce Laird's Apple Brandy
- ½ ounce Lustau East India Solera Sherry
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
- 2 ounces water
- ¼ ounce cinnamon syrup
- ¼ ounce lemon juice
- Garnish: whipped cream, orange star, fresh nutmeg
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients excluding cinnamon syrup and lemon juice, and heat to near boiling.
- In a mug, add the cinnamon syrup and lemon juice, then pour heated mixture into the mug.
- Top with a tiny dollop of whipped cream, an orange star, and shave fresh nutmeg over top.
Rate This Recipe:
Related Reads & Recipes
Learn About Amaro
More Amaro Recipes To Explore
Grapefruit Negroni Recipe:
This week is Negroni Week. I made this delicious variation to celebrate and recognize one of the most popular classic cocktails of all time.
The Negroni Bramble Recipe:
What do you get when you customize the classic Negroni with two vermouths and crushed ice? This colorful, crowd-pleasing sipper.
The Hot Buttered Amaro Recipe:
In this spin on hot buttered rum, Pittsburgh bartender Nicole Battle swaps in Italian amaro to create a rich, indulgent winter warmer.
The Paper Plane Recipe:
With its sophisticated flavor profile, the Paper Plane cocktail can be found in high-end bars around the world. Keep reading for the recipe.
The Garibaldi Recipe:
The Garibaldi cocktail is composed of Campari and orange juice, two simple ingredients celebrating Italian culture and cuisine.
The Italian Julep Recipe:
The classic Mint Julep gets an Italian accent in this low-proof cocktail featuring Cynar, an amaro with a distinctly vegetal flavor. Learn how to make it with this recipe.