The Story Behind The Montenegro Hot Toddy
From the Catskills’ Urban Cowboy Lodge, the Montenegro Hot Toddy combines the nutty notes of bourbon and cinnamon syrup with Solera cream sherry, herbaceous and citrusy Amaro Montenegro, and apple brandy. Ideal for thirsty mountaineers, this cocktail is complex and warming.
- 1 ounce Amaro Montenegro
- 1 ounce Old Forester Bourbon
- ¼ ounce Laird's Apple Brandy
- ½ ounce Lustau East India Solera Sherry
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
- 2 ounces water
- ¼ ounce cinnamon syrup
- ¼ ounce lemon juice
- Garnish: whipped cream, orange star, fresh nutmeg
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients excluding cinnamon syrup and lemon juice, and heat to near boiling.
- In a mug, add the cinnamon syrup and lemon juice, then pour heated mixture into the mug.
- Top with a tiny dollop of whipped cream, an orange star, and shave fresh nutmeg over top.
Rate This Recipe:
Related Reads & Recipes
Learn About Amaro
More Amaro Recipes To Explore
Get our recipe for a great Boulevardier. Learn everything you need to know to make a perfect Boulevardier.
The Mexicano Recipe:
Mezcal makes an appearance in this riff on the classic Americano cocktail that comes together in a snap. La buena vida, indeed.
The Pineapple Negroni Sour Recipe:
The antidote to holiday excess is this amaro-centric Negroni cocktail. Equal parts bitter, sour, and sweet, it can be made with Campari or Aperol.
The Honeysuckle Negroni Recipe:
For this cocktail recipe, Natalie Migliarini riffs on a classic Negroni by incorporating dry vermouth and homemade honeysuckle simple syrup with Campari and gin. Learn how to make it here!
The Petal Pusher Recipe:
With Cardamaro, St-Germain, Godiva chocolate liqueur, and Prosecco, Gates Otsuji has created a subtle drink that can also be the life of the party.
The Rum Running Gentleman:
The Rum Running Gentleman combines spiced rum with seasonal flavors such as hazelnut and has just a kiss of smoke. Get the recipe here!