The Story Behind The Vine-Groni
Although most of us treat cucumbers as vegetables, slicing them onto salads or crudite platters, botanists classify them as a type of berry. Their versatile flavor profile complements sweet and savory preparations, making them beautifully suited to cocktails.
Nitecap, an NYC cocktail bar with a passionate following, infuses Bulldog Gin with cucumbers for this briny Negroni riff studded with cukes and other vine-growing favorites. Co-owner Natasha David garnishes it with a quick-pickled Persian cucumber, Tomolive, and green Castelvetrano olive.
- 1 ½ ounces cucumber-infused gin, such as Bulldog
- 1 ounce Cinzano Bianco Vermouth
- ¼ ounce Campari
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 drops salt solution
- Stir all ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with a toothpick speared through a green olive, sliced and pickled Persian cucumber, and Tomolive (optional).