The Story Behind The Spiked Coffee Tonic
This cocktail is inspired by a trip to Guatemala, where a barista made an espresso with brown sugar. In this version, a coffee tonic gets an infusion of brown sugar syrup and gin.
- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ½ ounces espresso
- 2 ounces tonic water
- ½ ounce brown sugar syrup (recipe follows)
- Lemon slice, for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a Highball glass over ice.
- Stir for approximately 15 seconds to chill and combine ingredients.
- Garnish with a lemon slice, if using.
Brown Sugar Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
Brown Sugar Syrup Directions
- Combine brown sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool before using.