The Story Behind The Pomegranate & Ruby Red Grapefruit Margarita
The debate as to where the original margarita was created may never end, but while the forums and discussions continue, the rest of the world drinks on.
Today I’m sharing a cocktail that I created over the weekend while entertaining some friends. While the weather may not always be perfect where I am, it occasionally has moments that are perfectly suited to sipping summer cocktails, no matter what season we’re in. With the ruby red grapefruit subbing in for the lime in this libation, I decided it needed a little something else to really set it apart, and I found that something in pomegranate. Simply simmer it with a bit of sugar and water to make a simple syrup. It takes the cocktail to the next level.
Finally, to finish everything off and spice things up a bit, add some Tajín to the rim in place of the salt.
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce ruby red grapefruit juice
- 0.5 ounce pomegranate simple syrup (*recipe below)
- 1 cup ice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rim the coupe glass with salt.
- Combine liquid ingredients with 1 cup of ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake to chill and combine ingredients.
- Fine strain into the coupe glass.
Pomegranate Symple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup of pomegranate juice
- 1 cup of sugar
Pomegranate Symple Syrup Directions
- Add pomegranate juice and sugar to a medium saucepan and simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Cool mixture.