The Story Behind The Pineapple-Basil Highball
When basil season finally arrives, this perfect summer highball is one of my favorite ways to use it. You start by muddling fresh basil leaves from the farmers’ market, and then add lime and pineapple juices, gin, and simple syrup, topped with lime sparkling water. The color is beautiful, and the fresh aromatics shine through.
- 1 ½ ounces gin
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- ¾ ounce simple syrup
- 8 basil leaves
- Top with lime sparkling water
- Lime peel and edible flowers for garnish (optional)
- Muddle basil leaves in a cocktail shaker.
- Add gin, lime juice, pineapple juice, and simple syrup to the shaker with ice.
- Shake to combine, and then strain over fresh ice into highball glass.
- Top with lime sparkling water.
- Garnish with lime peel and edible flowers, if using.