The Story Behind The Tiki Bonfire
I love tiki cocktails, but balancing their flavors can be tricky. After visiting some tiki bars in San Francisco, I decided to play around with a drink of my own, swapping out different ingredients until I found the right mix.
The orange juice, grenadine, and pineapple syrup are all base flavors here, and the lime juice gives it a nice citrusy jolt. I couldn't help but add some overproof rum at the end to give it a great tiki effect.
Ingredients In The Tiki Bonfire:
- 2 ounces white rum
- ½ ounce overproof rum
- ½ ounce Angostura bitters
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ¾ ounce grenadine
- ½ ounce Monin pineapple syrup
- ½ lemon, hollowed out, for garnish (optional)
Tiki Bonfire Directions:
- Combine white rum, orange juice, lime juice, and pineapple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake hard to chill and combine.
- Pour grenadine in a tiki glass over fresh ice.
- Strain concoction over fresh ice and grenadine.
- Float Angostura bitters on top.
- Garnish with half of a lemon.
- Pour overproof rum into lemon, and light with a torch for a dramatic effect.