The Story Behind The Idle Hands
From Chicago’s legendary tiki den Three Dots and a Dash comes this elegant riff on a Banana Daiquiri. The cocktail equivalent of trompe l’oeil, Idle Hands features crystal-clear clarified banana rum and syrup, both of which Three Dots’ team makes in-house. It’s called Idle Hands “as I clearly have too much time on my hands,” beverage director Kevin Beary says.
In concept and execution, Idle Hands combines classic tiki flavors with cutting-edge technique. "The inspiration was wanting to take the Banana Daiquiri from the 1940s that is featured on most tiki bar menus and bring it into 2017," Beary says.
The clarified banana syrup and rum require a bit of legwork, but the end result is sure to impress.
Clarified banana rum Ingredients
- 250 grams perfectly ripe bananas
- 1 liter rum
- 2 grams pectin-x
Clarified banana rum Directions
- Blend bananas with rum. Bananas should be showing brown spots but not turning black.
- Add the pectin-x and blend until the solution reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Run the solution in a centrifuge at 4000g for 20 minutes.
- Pour off clarified rum and reserve.