The Story Behind The Healthy Habit
This earthy, herbaceous drink comes to us from Zero Restaurant + Bar, a classy spot in downtown Charleston’s Zero George Street Hotel. Its froth is thanks to kombucha, and the lovely color comes from fresh beet juice, available at health food stores or your local Trader Joe’s.
- 2 ounces gin, such as Plymouth
- ½ ounce beet juice
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce lavender-infused simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 egg white
- 1 ounce kombucha
- Add all ingredients except kombucha to a cocktail shaker with no ice. Shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds (this is called a dry shake).
- Add ice to your cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for another 10 to 15 seconds (you guessed it: this is a wet shake).
- Add kombucha and stir.
- Strain into a coupe and serve up.
Lavender-infused simple syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
Lavender-infused simple syrup Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over high heat, stirring. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Continue stirring until all sugar dissolves, three to five minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain into clean container and store, covered, in refrigerator.