The Story Behind The Forty Niner
From The Cabinet, a bar in Manhattan’s East Village, comes a strong argument for year-round rye cocktails. The bar fat-washes Old Overholt with roasted peanuts, though home bartenders can forgo that step and still get a tasty, complex drink. When berries are in season, you can garnish with a speared raspberry for a summery touch.
- 1 ½ ounces rye, such as Old Overholt
- ½ ounce St. George raspberry brandy
- ¾ ounce Giffard Framboise
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ¼ ounce honey syrup (recipe follows)
- 6 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Raspberry garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake to combine.
- Pour into a coupe glass.
- Spear a raspberry on a toothpick and serve with garnish, if using.
Honey Syrup Ingredients
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
Honey Syrup Directions
- Combine honey and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the honey is completely incorporated.
- Let cool before using. Store covered in refrigerator.