The Story Behind The Drinking in a Winter Wonderland
As a breakfast, grapefruits are divisive; but their juice is a versatile cocktail mixer. The bittersweet flavor plays beautifully off of tequila in Palomas, vodka in Greyhounds and Salty Dogs, and is coupled with arak in the Middle East.
Here, grapefruit juice mingles with gin, fresh lime, and rosemary-infused simple syrup. It is a wintry cocktail with sweet, sour, and bitter flavors.
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice, such as Natalie’s Orchid Island Juices
- 11⁄2 ounces gin
- 1⁄2 ounce rosemary simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh lime juice
- Sprigs of rosemary, for garnish (optional)
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add juice, gin, and syrup.
- Shake until well chilled.
- Pour into a coupe glass.
- If using, garnish with fresh rosemary.
Rate This Recipe:
Rosemary Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
Rosemary Simple Syrup Directions
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
- Remove rosemary sprigs. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.